UO CAMDEN: THE HISTORYJuly 11, 2013
Time for a little history lesson! Don’t worry, we’re not about to bang on about Kings and Queens of the late 17th century or anything. We’re on about the awesome location for our new Urban Outfitters Camden.
This is your first look at what will be unleashed at our banging launch party on the 25th July – minus the dusty workmen and heavy-duty machinery.
Want to make party with us on the 25th July? Like us on Facebook and join the event HERE – whoop!
So, way back when in early 1900s when the streets probably looked something like the picture up top there, our precious new building started life as a humble Bakery.
When the bread business decided to move on in 1909, the building was remodeled to begin its life as a theatre – first opening as the Electric Theatre, before evolving into Theatre De Luxein 1914. With space for 600 Camden culture cravers, the theatre presented cinematic hits right up until 1938.
On the cusp of the Second World War – and with the cinema scene thriving with competition – the building was acquired by Odeon and was renamed the Camden Plaza. The Plaza it remained for the rest of its cinematic days. Here’s an old skool pic of it back in the day.
With only 600 seats available, the building was deemed too small to act as a major cinema. The seat number was reduced to 340 seats in 1977 and the Plaza began to specialise in foreign language films. Alas, all good things must come to end, so in 1994, after its final film showing of Peeping Tom, the cinema closed its doors.
Hints of this cinematic history still remain in the building; splashes of vintage wallpaper and décor run throughout the site. Heck, even the original mosaic entrance remains!
From 1994 onwards the building was completely re-worked to host one of Camden’s many markets. The clues remain in the multi-colour marked out flooring and this awesome comic book shrine.
With all this history it’s only right we keep the building heritage alive. Thus, we’re leaving it all in for our new store build. The vintage wallpaper, exposed bricks, piping, flooring and all other aesthetics remain. Thumbs up to history…yeah?
Now here’s some more pictures with all that’s going down right now!
We’re excited, are you? Let us know by following @uoeurope on Twitter. Then give us a Camden shout out with #UOCamden