UO TRAINER MAINTENANCE: HOW TO KEEP YOUR WHITE SNEAKERS FRESHJune 9, 2015
From a bright pair of Nike Air Max to a dazzling set of Adidas Stan Smiths, nothing screams summer more than a pristine pair of white trainers. In theory, the white trainer is the obvious choice of footwear for the warmer season but we do live in the UK. The reality is that the combination of British weather, festival season and picnics in the park (grass stains anyone?) may prevent you from keeping your whites white. But don’t sob into your sparkling Adidas Superstars just yet, we’ve asked our Men’s Footwear BAA, Zehra Hussain, her top tips on how to keep our kicks beaming, rain or shine. Take it away Zehra…
Shop: Adidas Superstar 80s Trainers in All White
1) Always invest in a repellent spray. When I buy a pair of white trainers and I’m running low on spray, I always pick one up and spray the trainers before I wear them. Leave the trainers for 24 hours so the spray can really soak in and do its job. I use the Jason Markk’s water and stain repellent to protect for everyday use as it is odour less, or Crep Protect trainer spray.
Nike Air Max Tavas SE Trainers in White
2) Always keep wipes with you. You never know when someone’s going to step on your shoes or when you might accidentally stroll through dirt. The longer these stains are lingering on your shoe, the harder they’ll be to scrub off. Jason Markk’s quick wipes are so handy; they fit in your wallet or handbag so as soon as disaster strikes, you’re prepared.
Shop: Nike Air Max Tavas SE Trainers in White, Converse Chuck Taylor High-Top Trainers in White, Adidas Stan Smith Trainers in White and Green, Adidas Superstar 80s Trainers in All White, New Balance 420 Suede Runner Trainers in White and Superga 2750 Cotu Trainers in White.
3) Take time to clean them and use a specific shoe brush. A lot of tooth brushes or other brushes are too harsh and not designed to clean shoes. This can roughen and weaken suede or leather. Jason Markk’s premium shoe cleaning kit offers a quality brush that won’t ruin your trainers as well as a cleaning liquid which won’t stain white material, like others can.
4) Use lukewarm or cold water when cleaning your trainers. Using hot water can damage the material and when your shoes dry they will lose shape.
Shop: New Balance 420 Suede Runner Trainers in White
5) When drying your trainers, pat them down with a dry cloth and stuff them with kitchen roll. This will absorb the excess water and dirt so when they dry, the white surface won’t have streaks and stain traces. This will also keep your trainers from having a damp smell.
Shop: Superga 2750 Cotu Trainers in White.