ON THE MENU: COLOURFUL COCKTAILSFebruary 18, 2016
Ashley Rose Conway runs the blog Craft and Cocktails, devoting much of her free time to the art of creating the perfect drink. Here, she matches four different cocktails to multicoloured glasses, featuring flavours ranging from blood orange to chamomile.
Grapefruit Rose Pisco Sour
-2 oz. Pisco
-3/4 oz. grapefruit juice
-1/4 oz. lime juice
-1/2 oz. simple syrup (1:1 sugar and water)
-5 drops rose water
-few dashes aromatic bitters
1. Add all ingredients into a shaker without ice (dry shaking.) Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
2. Add ice to the shaker and shake hard for another 15 seconds. Strain into a glass and garnish with rose bud or petal
Chamomile Gin Fizz
-2 oz. gin ( I used St. George Spirits Botanivore Gin)
-1 oz. soda water
-3/4 oz. lemon juice
-3/4 oz. chamomile
-simple syrup (recipe below)
Chamomile Simple Syrup
-5 teaspoons dried chamomile
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup water
1. Add all ingredients into shaker with ice except for the soda water. Shake and strain into a glass with ice. Top with soda water and stir. Garnish with chamomile flowers or lemon slice.
2. For the chamomile simple syrup, add sugar and water into a saucepan and turn on high. Once the sugar has dissolved, add chamomile tea. Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat. Let steep until cool. Strain into an air tight container and store in the fridge for a few weeks.
Blueberry Blackberry Bramble
-1 3/4 oz. gin (I used St. George Spirits Botanivore Gin)
-1/2 creme de mure (I used Edmond Briottet)
-3/4 oz. lemon juice
-1/4 oz. simple syrup
-1/4 cup blueberries
1. Add the gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a glass with crushed or tiny sphere ice.
2. Add blueberries, blackberries, and creme de mure into the shaker. Macerate the berries. Shake with ice and strain mixture through a tea strainer over the glass. Garnish with blueberry and blackberry skewer.
Blood Orange Boston Sour
-2 oz. bourbon (I used Russell’s Reserve 10 year)
-1 oz. blood orange juice
-1/4 oz. lemon juice
-1/2 oz. honey syrup (2 parts honey to 1 part water)
-1/2 oz. egg white
-dash angostura bitters
1. Add all the ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake hard for 15 seconds.
2. Strain into a glass with a larger ice cube. Garnish with blood orange wheel.