ON THE MENU: BLACK BEAN AND SWEET POTATO BURGERSJuly 15, 2016
Nothing shouts summer more than a BBQ in your back garden. For the meat-free among you, here’s a delicious Mexicana alternative burger option for your grill. You’re welcome.
Makes 6 burgers
For the burger:
2-3 chopped sweat potatoes
1/2 cup rice (basmati or brown will be fine)
1 can black beans or kidney beans
1 small can sweetcorn
1/2 chopped red onion
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp chili powder
Jalapeno peppes (if you like a bit of spice)
For the sauce
Lime juice from half a lime
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
To make the burgers
1. Add a few splashes of water to a pan
2. Chop your sweet potatoes into small chunks and place them in the pan. Leave the skin on for added nutrition and texture
3. Cover and cook over a medium heat. Simmer until soft – around 25 minutes
4. Prep the remaining ingredients. Chop your onion and place in a large bowl. Add the drained and rinsed black beans, corn, rice and peppers
5. Once the potatoes are finished cooking, turn off the heat and mash with a spoon or fork. The consistency doesn’t need to be completely smooth – some lumps are fine!
6. Once you’ve finished mashing, add the potatoes to your mixtutre of ingredients and stir together
7. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder and mix
8. Scoop out the mixture and create your patties
9. To cook, drizzle a bit of olive oil in the pan and cook for around 5 mins on each side.
To make the sauce
Place the avocado, lime, salt, pepper, chili powder and olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy
Assemble and enjoy!