ON THE MENU: OREO COOKIES AND SCREAM CUPCAKESOctober 20, 2016
Photos by: The Cupcake Chornicles
Halloween: When things go bump in the night, the cold seeps in, we’re resurrecting our knitwear and the landscape turns golden. Head to your kitchen and whip up a Halloween spread with these Oreo cookies and scream cupcakes from bakers and sprinkle enthusiasts, The Cupcake Chronicles.
Autumn is officially here, and you know what that means! Halloween is just around the corner, and we could not be more excited. Halloween has always held a special place in our hearts for many reasons. We love the entire ambiance that surrounds Halloween. The sometimes tacky decorations, pumpkins everywhere, costume parties. Just, yes. But even more than the ambiance, we love the candy, obviously! It’s the one day of the year when it is socially acceptable to eat 45 KitKat bars in one sitting. We wanted a recipe that incorporated some of our favorite Halloween treats and would be perfect to bring to any Halloween party. So, here are our cookies and cream cupcakes with Halloween Oreos and pumpkin candies! So, if you need us we will just be here counting down the days until Halloween by watching a scary movie with the lights on and pillows in front of our faces, because that’s the only way we know how to do it.
For the Cupcakes
2-3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of softened, unsalted butter
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 14 ounce package of Oreos
For the Frosting
2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter
4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
1-2 teaspoons of milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Ganache (optional)
½ Cup heavy cream
½ Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin tins
2. In an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
4. Add flour and milk/vanilla in three parts. Alternate between flour and milk/vanilla.
5. Put Oreos in a large zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin. You want crumbs, but also some bigger pieces. A food processor could also be used.
6. Fold the crushed Oreos into the cake batter.
7. Fill liners 2/3 full with the batter.
8. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and continue to cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting
1. Beat the butter in an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Slowly add in confectioners’ sugar.
3. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until combined and fluffy.
If frosting is too thick, add in a little more milk to reach desired consistency.
For the Chocolate Ganache
1. Heat heavy cream up in the microwave until it is boiling (about 1 minute)
2. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and cover with saran wrap.
3. Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir.
1. Once cupcakes are cool place butter cream in a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.
2. Drizzle with chocolate ganache.
3. Garnish cupcakes with Oreos, candy or sprinkles. (Or all three!)