A GUIDE TO VEGAN LIVING WITH @CARLOTABRUNADecember 28, 2017
The New Year is a great time to set goals and re-focus on living your best life. Moving into a more sustainable lifestyle through veganism can be daunting, so we caught up with @carlotabruna to talk all things vegan, sustainable living and joining the community…
Tell us all about your vegan journey!
My vegan journey began two years ago. I started by going vegetarian for one year, but then I started to become more informed about all the cruelty happening and now I’ve been vegan for two years!
What drew you to the lifestyle?
I have always loved animals so much that eating them was incoherent. I educated myself on the subject and watched a lot of documentaries and videos. I really was interested. When I knew what was going on with animals, I stopped eating them immediately.
What’s your philosophy on veganism?
My philosophy is “TREAT EVERY LIVING BEING WITH LOVE.”
Shop Star Trinket Dish
How did you make the transition to a plant-based diet? What challenges did you face?
First of all, it was explaining it to my friends, because my family already knew my thoughts about it. When I told my friends, they immediately said: “But what are you going to eat?” “You need protein,” all of that stuff…
But now they know I’m so much healthier and happier, and they LOVE when I cook them delicious vegan food. My boyfriend too! He promised me that he will go vegan someday… haha!
Shop Urban Outfitters Kyoto 1990 T-Shirt and Urban Renewal Remnants Purple Checked Trousers
Why is it important to you to live a vegan life?
Being vegan isn’t just a diet. I’m living a more empathetic life, full of love and compassion.
What’s a misconception about veganism that you often come across?
The biggest misconception about veganism is that we don’t eat enough protein or calcium. They don’t know that soy has much more protein than meat and kale has more calcium than all dairy products! Also, they often say that we only eat salads… this is because they haven’t seen the beautiful vegan cook books in the UO stores!
Shop Bark Cutting Board
What are your favourite vegan dishes?
My favourite vegan dishes are hummus, guacamole and my mum’s pizza with caramelized onions!
Shop But I Could Never Go Vegan! By Kristy Turner
What tips do you have for people that want to start living a vegan lifestyle but aren’t sure where to start?
- Start with an open mind, watch documentaries such as “The best speech you’ll ever hear” or “Cowspiracy” and inform and educate yourself about the subject.
- Join the community! It’s important to find support on your journey and there’s a lot of beautiful vegan people out there that can help you and inspire you! You are not alone.
- Buy a vegan recipe book or find a really good vegan blog with delicious recipes, it’s going to help you so much.
- Focus on all the foods you have and nourishment, and not on restriction. There is an abundant variety of beautiful foods.
- Don’t aim to be perfect! Going vegan is a beautiful journey to enjoy, not to feel punished! Don’t fret about mistakes along the way.
- Stock up on the good stuff: fruits, vegetables, pulses, whole grains… eat the rainbow!
- Don’t be afraid of asking questions and go to a specialist nutritionist to ask more about vegan diets!
Shop the Elephant Tea Mug and Star Trinket Dish
How can people make sure they are living as sustainable a life as possible?
Try to buy organic, eat less meat and use less plastic!
What are you looking forward to in 2018?
More love and less hate.
What do you think the future holds for veganism?
Eating animals isn’t good for them, for you or for the planet. It isn’t sustainable anymore. I’m sure the next generations will look back and say: why did they eat animals? Were they crazy?