ROOM REFRESH: KATE YOUNGJanuary 10, 2018
New year, new room, new you. Kicking off the new year with a fresh mindset and positive outlook is what we’re all about, and there’s no better way to do that than to update your home. To get some interior inspiration, we spoke to home stylist Kate Young (@kateyoungdesign) about her style, key homeware pieces and statement art…
Shop the Amped Fleece Throw Blanket
How would you describe your home style?
My home is a bit of a mix bag really. I love the paired back minimal feel of Scandinavian interiors, but I have mixed it with some ethnic and boho accessories from India, Morocco and South America. It is a relaxed space with lots of natural textures, a few vintage finds and a lot of monochrome wall art. I am obsessed with white and love layering tone on tone whites alongside weathered wood, bamboo and rattan.
Shop Good Vibes Journal
Shop the Rohini Daybed Cushion and Cayler Geo Print Beige 3×5 Rug
What are your top tips for updating a room on a budget
• The most important thing when updating a room is to declutter first!
• Paint the walls – colour can be a game changer and it is cheap way to transform a room.
• For an instant lift add some new plants – real or fake!
• Create a quick and easy gallery wall by printing your favourite quotes and using washi tape instead of frames.
• Update your bedding, add a new throw, a rug or cushions it will make a room instantly feel fresher.
Shop Amber & Moss Soy Candle and Planters
What key homeware pieces can you update to transform the whole look of a room?
• Use rugs, throws and lots of cushions. Mix and match textures for added interest.
• Have fun with lighting – good lighting will transform a room Invest in a big statement light like a chandelier.
• Add plants, they will brighten up a dull corner instantly.
• Hang mirrors, not only they will give an illusion of space but they also look amazing alongside art.
Shop Amped Fleece Throw Blanket
How can you maximise space and create a practical working area in a small bedroom?
The secret to maximising space is to invest in good storage and dual-purpose pieces. My office doubles up as a spare bedroom and somewhere where the girls can come and do homework. The room is tiny and the Rohini Daybed can be used as a sofa or an occasional bed. I have chosen a slightly narrower desk to make the most of the space. Make the most of the height and go for floor to ceiling bookcases.
Where do you look for inspiration?
My biggest source of inspiration is Instagram, people are so incredibly creative on there and I can lose hours just scrolling through amazing interiors.
Shop Boob Print Mug
What homeware styles should we look out for in 2018?
In 2018 watch out for big statement art, lots of brass accessories like planters, vases, and even lighting, paired up with black and white patterned rugs, cushions and ceramics. Although not a new trend, plants will remain and we will see an explosion of botanical prints (not so sure I am ready for that one!)
Shop Boob Print Cushion
Shop Elephant Mug
Feeling inspired? Create your perfect space and update rooms with key pieces that make you happy. Check out our latest Home collections and follow @urbanoutfitterseu for more beautiful styling ideas.